Sunday, January 19, 2014

Up The Pacific Coast Highway to Neptunes Net (and How I Met Charlie Sheen)


One of my favorite and most frequently taken routes I take is from Santa Monica to Neptunes Net. It is a gorgeous ride, not too treacherous, and really allows you to take your time on the road and pay attention to the beautiful environment you're going through. In a previous post, I had found a pretty cool place on the road. Today was also a perfect day to go riding
While the rest of the country freezes over, we languish in our amazing weather

 I decided to take my second ride on motorcycle with my friend Ben. We had initially 
planned to go on the Angeles Crest Highway, but his little vespa was chickenshit compared to the rest of the vehicles on the road, and we called it off and decided to reroute.
My Friend Ben. As you can see, he has a Vespa
And so we decided to go up PCH to Neptune's Net. The weather was perfect, but road conditions were less than favorable. The traffic was rather terrible, and we got almost run in to at least 3 or 4 times by some idiots (car drivers please watch for us motorcyclists FYI) in Santa Monica. However, once we go on to the main road, everything was pretty nice. 
It was pretty empty north of Santa Monica

At Neptune's Net

And so we arrived at Neptune's Net after a couple of hours. Located 30 miles up the coast from Santa Monica, the whole place was filled with bikes and bikers, and a bunch of interesting characters just in time for lunch.
This is only a small portion of the bikes parked
I'm not usually a fan of Harley-Davidsons, but this one was beautiful

Oddly enough, the garden burgers were pretty tasty, so vegetarians can go and not feel bad eating meat. However, Neptune's Net is known for their seafood, which is admittedly amazing (before I turned vegetarian, I used to order the crab cake burgers and was never unsatisfied).

"Where's Charlie Sheen?" you're probably asking. Well, he decided to take a visit to Neptune's Net at the same time that we were. Unfortunately, I was too busy taking photos before the battery on my camera ran out before I could snap a photo, but Ben was able to take a picture. He commented on our jackets, calling us crazy for wearing such thick gear on a hot day.

Overall, definitely a good day, and a good ride. Check Neptune's Net out if you can. Where are some other good riding/driving locations you know of?

No comments:

Post a Comment